by Jennifer A. Miskov, PhD
There is something about going up higher to see the world from a different perspective that I’ve always been drawn to. Being on high places somehow pulls me out of the grind of the busy world and let’s me see how small I really am and how great God really is. It always helps me put life and my priorities in perspective. Climbing to Mount Lassen with some great people last summer was one of the highlights of my year. Since that time, some of us had talked about doing Shasta next. For one year, I have had a post card of Mount Shasta up in the mirror in my bathroom, dreaming about this impossibility. This Friday, I have the opportunity to be guided up to the top of an even bigger peak, Mount Shasta, by our resident Alaskan, Erik, along with some of the other Destiny House family. It can only be described as a dream coming true.
At 14,179 feet high, Mount Shasta is the 5th highest peak in California with steep elevation gains of over 7,000 feet. It will take us anywhere from 9-11 hours to make it to the summit and we are beginning the climb around 10pm Friday night. It will take around 4 hours to come down the mountain with the total being 11.5 miles round trip. This is a personal dream and something I feel will be significant for me personally as I prepare to launch my upcoming book Walking on Water on Oct. 3 and prepare for a new season of where God is leading.
Because going after this impossibility in my personal life also reflects some of the impossibilities we are going after as a house at Destiny House, I wanted to take this time to invite our extended friends and family to partner with helping our non-profit take it to the next level. We have been running solid at Destiny House for over 5 years now and we believe that God is leading us into more this next season and also expansion. We did our 1st international Destiny House ministry trip to Thailand over the summer, which was so powerful as well as celebrated our 5-year anniversary and graduated 21 more ladies. We have great momentum during this time for our movement.
In this new season, we are launching our 1st official guys Destiny House as well as a couple potential alumni houses. We are dreaming of multiplying our movement to build the 5,000-year vision including more ministry and mission’s trips and possibly even a Destiny House conference. As we dream about growing wide, we also want to make sure our foundations and structures are deep enough to hold us. There are a few things that we feel will help us shift into this new season that we would love for you to pray about partnering in by sponsoring the climb.
Creating Infrastructure to Steward Finances
1. We would like to bring Kim Fisher from Vision Catalyst onto our team. After 5 years of personally struggling to try and manage all the finances and create good accountability in the midst of everything else I’ve been carrying, we have outgrown that stage and really want to steward our finances and supporters better as we grow into the future season. We feel that we really need Kim on our team to be able to move into more of the fullness of what God is calling us into as a movement. Kim is full of the Holy Spirit, comes from a Vineyard background (like me!) and also has over 30 years experience in non-profits and fundraising. She is also a close friend with our board member. She is not only going to be able to help us create an infrastructure to steward our finances well but also help us with strategy, fundraising, and becoming more sustainable as we continue to pioneer into new territories.
The cost to have her help and be accessible to us for a whole year comes out to only around $7,000-8,500 because she is giving us a special discount. This includes but is not limited to:
· Getting us set up on Quickbooks
· Processing and mailing annual receipts (report to donors)
· Budget planning
· Running our year-to-date Profit & Loss Statement (P&L) and Balance Sheet
· Documenting our donations and expenses
· Reconciling bank statements
· Monthly accounting
· Developing a fundraising strategy and helping implement it
· Professional consulting as we dream for the future
When we met as a core team over the summer, this was one of the priorities we felt we needed to go after so that we could make sure to be a non-profit of integrity and steward the wealth that God wants to pass through our hands for His kingdom. We feel that Kim is the perfect fit for us now.
Making a Way for our Leaders to Continue to Serve at Destiny House
2. We also have two Germans who are very special to me personally and to our Destiny House family and movement. Elisa Froehlig and Katharina Welt have been with me and Destiny House for over 3 and 4 years now. When Elisa first came, she had never led worship. She has since become a worship pastor and now raises up other worship leaders as well as has helped carry and grown the movement in a significant way for which I am super grateful. Katharina had not stepped out to dance in worship before until she came to Destiny House 3 years ago. She has since stepped out to release healing and miracles over many through her prophetic dance. She has also developed into a great dance pastor, creating a safe place for others in our community to step out and dance where once before they were afraid. You can see a video testimony Bethel published of how one woman was healed when Kat danced around her Here. See also video below about Kat's dream to return:
These two women have been faithful to me and the movement of Destiny House for a great part of our early development and they each have a dream to come back and run with us full time starting in the fall. For this to happen, we need sponsors to help us get them a Religious workers Visa. The cost for this is $1645 per person for a total of $3290 to get them both over here. Katharina also needs to raise $633 more per month from the $1400/month goal to be able to qualify for her visa and prove that she can be here. If you would like to be a part monthly sponsoring her, please contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org. Destiny House wouldn’t be what it is today without these two and all that they have invested into the community. Please consider helping get them back here so we can continue building and multiplying our vision of leading people into life changing encounters with Jesus and planting 5,000 worshiping communities around the world.
Stewarding the House
3. As you know, each year we have been working hard to upgrade the house to make it more welcoming and feel like home for the girls. We have gotten new mattresses, furniture, kitchen utensils, as well as we have painted some of the rooms to make it feel lighter and more like home. The owner Brad even recently painted the stairs silver and the porch gold from a dream he had over 5 years ago to go along with our vision from silver to gold. There are some practical upgrades and editions we are looking to provide this next month to prepare for the incoming Destiny House revivalists to feel welcomed and right at home.
· Replace one washer and dryer
· Replace one of the queen beds with a new mattress
· Get 2 new dressers
· Large patio set with chairs and tables for outside meetings and chill space
· Install 2 overhead microwaves on different floors so the girls can have more counter space and not so crowded kitchen
· Install new inductive wall heaters in the bedrooms so girls don’t freeze at night
These projects will cost around $3,500 to complete and we would like to have these done before the girls move in mid-August.
Just the Beginning
We feel that God wants to expand and deepen our movement with good stewardship and strategy for the future. The total for these 3 priorities comes out to around $15,000.
*Beyond this, we have many other dreams we will be prayerfully pursing for Destiny House including a ministry trip to be a part of Awaken the Dawn and The Call DC in October, a mission trip to Mozambique, Africa in November where Heidi personally asked me to come out and teach at the school there, a salary or partial salary for me to become sustainable leading Destiny House, Home of Peace retreat, core retreat, Destiny House conference, other ministry/mission trips, recording a Destiny House CD, a new bongo drum, and more. We feel that after reaching the first 3 goals listed earlier, we will be freer to go after more of what God has for us around the corner.
How You Can Partner
Help Destiny House get to the next level. Please pray about sponsoring my impossible dream of climbing Mount Shasta. The funds will be used to target our 3 priorities right now which will contribute to helping us continue to lead people into life-changing encounters with Jesus, raising up a revivalist generation who burn for Jesus, and planting 5,000 worshiping communities around the world who release the love and power of Jesus from a place of intimacy with God and connection with family.
*All donations will be tax-deductible. We can’t make it into this next season shift without your prayers and support.
· Every donation no matter how small will receive a personalized thank you from our Destiny House family.
· $500 or more will receive a signed copy of either Spirit Flood or Ignite Azusa, your choice, mention in memo.
· $1000 or more will receive a signed copy of my new book Walking on Water when it comes out.